Tanning Salon Inspections
Inspecting Tanning Facilities
The Florida Department of Health in Santa Rosa County (DOH-Santa Rosa) provides inspections for devices that emit ultraviolet radiation at tanning facilities. The primary objective of these inspections is to prevent illness or injury to the general public. Some of the items examined during an inspection may include:
- Appropriate warning signage
- Certified and compliant equipment
- Proper sanitization practices
- Operator training and records management
Tanning facilities are inspected at least once a permit year. Violations can result in a stop-use order.
There is a charge for tanning inspections: Annual License Fee (one device) $279.00 with each additional device $55.00. The total fee is not to exceed $444.00. There is a fee of $77.00 for late renewal of a license.
The EH division receives and investigates complaints concerning these facilities. If suspected health or sanitation violations are present, please contact EH at 850-983-5275.
Opening a Facility
If you would like to open a facility, you can contact EH at 850-983-5275. You can also download an application form and submit it to the EH division for a preliminary review. Submit all of the necessary paperwork including a drawn plan of the facility, a completed license application and operating and safety procedures to EH along with the required license fee.
Application for Tanning Facility License (PDF-13KB)
Florida Department of Health - Tanning Facilities - More information about tanning salons and state regulations
Indoor Tanning Information Brochure (PDF-125KB)
*Note: This page contains materials in the Portable Document Format (PDF). The free Adobe Reader may be required to view these files.
Facts About Indoor Tanning Facilities
- Minors under the age of 18 must have the signature of parent or legal guardian to use an indoor tanning device.
- Children under the age of 14 must be accompanied by an adult in order to use a tanning device.
- Every person using a tanning device must wear protective eyewear which has been approved by the FDA.
- The operator of each tanning facility must be certified through a course, which has been approved by FDOH.
- Each tanning facility must maintain client records for 4 years.
- The operator of the facility is responsible for the sanitary maintenance of all devices and supporting equipment.